Frequently Asked Questions

This page includes many of the questions we hear most often from our clients. Feel free to contact us if you don’t see the answer to your question below.

How long does it take to receive my refund once the return is e-filed?

Your federal refund is within two weeks and your Massachusetts refund is within five days. Refunds that are Direct Deposited are even faster. Check the status of your refund >

What information do you need from me to prepare my tax return?

If you are an existing client and are set up on our portal, we will provide you with an organizer to use as a tool to gather the information we need to prepare your return. All of your prior year information is listed in the organizer. If you are a new client, we recommend you come in for an appointment. If you are not on our portal we will mail an organizer to you.

Will preparing my taxes be a problem if I live in Massachusetts and worked in different states?

Our software allows us to file returns for every state in the nation. We have many clients that reside in Massachusetts and work in other states.

I am a new client. What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?

You should bring in all of your paperwork for the current tax year and copies of your returns for the past two years. We review the prior year’s returns at no cost to you.

What forms of payment do you accept for tax services?

We accept checks, AmericanExpress, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club.

What are the tax benefits for purchasing a home?

We offer sound advice on the tax benefits of homeownership, along with income tax projections comparing owning a home versus renting.

We are married, but how do we know if we are better off filing jointly or separately?

We hear this often from clients, and fortunately our software allows us to calculate your return using either filing status. In most cases it is better to file a joint return.

If I have all of my information can I just drop off my paperwork?

Yes, we always encourage drop-offs. We ask that you fill out an intake sheet with any updates or changes to your taxes. You can find the intake form at our office or on our website. Prior to e-filing you must review your return and sign forms 8879 and M-8453. Once these forms are signed and in our possession we will e-file on your behalf.

Can you represent me before Internal Revenue Service in the event of an audit or notice?

If you receive any notification from Internal Revenue Service or Massachusetts Department of Revenue please contact our office as soon as possible. If the notice is regarding an audit we can represent you. If it is regarding information that was missing from your tax return, we can also help you resolve that problem.

Do I need an appointment to have my taxes done or can I just drop off my information?

Most taxpayers do not require an appointment. When you bring us your information we will ask you a few questions and contact you when we are preparing the return. We find dropping off your taxes results in a quicker processing time than scheduling appointments. If your financial and/or personal situation has changed from the prior year due to a marriage, divorce, new child, or financial aid issues, among others, we will be happy to meet with you.